In this post we will be talking about creating a replication pair for the HUR (Hitachi Universal Replicator) Once HUR is configured and both arrays have luns defined in Journal Volumes, you can go ahead and create a replication pair. You have to know that a lun has to be assigned to a port (see here) before it can take part of any type of replication operation.
create a replication pair
All operations in this article are done via the GUI using a VSP that replicates to a USP. You should be familiar with how to assign a lun to a host using storage navigator before navigating in the replication waters.
Also, you need to know the following things
|Lun number in host_grp:||2||5|
So in this case we will be creating a replication pair between 0:01:00 on primary array presented as lun 2 on host_grp 3 on port CL1-A and 00:02:00 on the remote array presented to lun 5 in group 2 presented on port CL2-B. You will see bellow how to obtain those numbers.
So before you start the replication setup, make sure you collect all this data. On a USP to retrieve the host_grp number and lun number use the Go->Lun Manager view. Navigate to the port where you know your S-VOL was mapped, then click on the host name (or generic port host group if not mapping to a host - host group will be 0 in this case) then you should be able to see the lun on the firhgt hand side.
Number 1 in this picture represents the host group number and number 2 represents the lun number in host group.
So without future due, here are the steps required to create a replication pair using SVP on VSP.
- Open Storage Navigator
- Use the Actions menu then navigate to Remote Copy/Universal Replicator/Pair Operation
- Using the menu on the right navigate to the port where the P-VOL is mapped the click on the host. You will see the PVOLS in the right window. The naming convention might be a bit different that what you are accustomed to. Format is [PORT]-[HOST_GRP]-[LUN ON HOST_GRP]. In our case you can see it's CL5-R - 01 - 000 (00:0a:00) so this is telling us is lun number 0 on host 1 mapped to CL5R or lun 00:0a:00. Right click on it and select paircreate
- Now it's time to specify our destination. Again the destination is in the same format so check your destination first to identify the host_grp number and lun number for the S-VOL. Here is the image from our setup. Number 1 represents the destination Host_Grp and number 2 represents the lun number (position) in that host_grp.As mentioned, select the S-VOL. First group is Port (CL2-A) in our case, second is the hostgroup and the third group is lun number. Next, specify the Master Journal M-JNL (journal group on primary array where journal volumes are) and remote journal R-JNL (journal group on secondary array where the journal volumes are). Consistency group is important (CG Group) if you have multiple luns that have to be in a consistency group, make sure all of them share the same CT Group.
Next, you need to specify the path that is going to be used by replication (identified by the s/n of the remote array). Once done click Set.
- You will be taken back to the main menu, don't forget to click Apply to apply your changes.
- Your pair status will change from SMPL to COPY and when done to PAIR.
- If you wish to see what is the status of the Pair, right click on the P-VOL then select Detailed Information. You will see all the pertaining information for the replication pair
At this point you can split the pairs and mount the svol if needed